Thursday, July 24, 2008

Misleading With An Honorable Cause

Ever heard the term, "Honesty is the best policy."? Have you ever thought that sometimes people throughout history have lied for a cause? Sometimes it is inevitable that you should lie. I call it misleading with an honorable cause. Now, I don't mean that you should lie for your own gain, or to savagely take some one down, I mean that you are hiding someone that is important to you, like the case of Anne Frank. She went into hiding, and they had to lie about the whereabouts of the family. The people who helped the slaves on the underground railway put their lives in danger for the sake of other people. That is the type of thing that is honorable enough to mislead someone. All too often we see people lying about their work, posessions, skills, and even standing. This has become a natural part of a lot of humans. I do believe that if there is a cause, honorable, then we should not lie, but mislead for an honorable cause. I know that half of the things that I say are crazy rambly stuff that sometimes does not make sense to many, but I want you to share your views on this. When do you think that it would be ok to lie? In other words, When is there an honorable enough cause so as to mislead someone. Do you think that the statement, honesty is the best policy, is always standing true? What is it about lying that hurts us and why is it a problem if it is a problem? What do you think about dishonest people? Would you ever befriend such people that would ever lie to your face? I know, I am starting to go into the other topic of friends, but still, what do you think?

4 comments:

biowierd said...

Wow, there may be some honorable causes to save human lives as you mentioned, but too many lie just to make themselves look good or deceive others. If anyone finds out about the lies you loose integrity. Then everything that was ever said or done is questionable. It is hard to be friends with someone like this because you never know whether what they say is true or just a story.
For example if they say it is raining outside, you want to check before you believe them.
Be honest, but try not to be hurtful!

M.D. said...

Yes, I do think that is true, but people lose integrity when they make the lie. Either alone, or in vast amounts of people. We lose trust in people when they find out, and then people become untrustworthy. We really need to be careful and live up to the expectations of others. The best way to tell the truth at all times, is to decide that you are not going to lie before you lie and tell yourself that you are going to live up to your expectations. I have found that it is good to tell the truth before savagely lying to others.

Courtney Hufflepuff said...

I understand what you mean, M.D.
To me, there are some reasons why you would be able to lie. Like if you're in a situation where if you told the truth, somebody could get hurt. Maybe if you don't want somebody to find something out. Because it could possibly be the most embarrassing thing you've ever said, and that person would think you were a freak. Then I think you have a reason to tell a white lie. But other than that, lying is the WORST thing you could do. Well, other than murder.

Rai said...

XD I love this one Max. I agree with Capt. Jack Sparrow, you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest. I think dishonest people are alright, I just pray that I can see through their dishonesty. Everyone is dishonest sometime in their life. And it's not evil unless its something that deals with murder or such.